What are the benefits of Microcurrent?
If you are new to the beauty industry world or microcurrent specifically it is helpful to know what benefits it provides before deciding if it’s worth including in your facial treatment routine. One of the primary benefits most are aware of with microcurrent facial treatments are its facial lifting and toning results. But microcurrent beauty and health benefits go far beyond natural facial contouring, so let’s check them all out!
Natural Face Lifting Procedure
Microcurrent therapy is a way to stimulate the facial muscles with a small electrical current. That’s it! It is a simple, pain-free method that works with the body’s natural systems to re-energize the facial skin and muscles from a cellular level. The cumulative effect of this process, on the other hand, now that is where things get fascinating! The full list of microcurrent benefits are as follows:
- Diminished appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The facial muscles have the distinct responsibility of helping us create facial expressions. Because the muscles connect to both the bone and skin, they work to produce countless facial expressions. When we are consistent with microcurrent sessions, we are lifting or "tightening" the muscle, which in turn helps to tighten our skin. Improved muscle tone in face and neck.
- Improved circulation. Circulation is generally increased from any stimulation done to the surface of the skin. Blood flowing towards our skin brings oxygen and other nutrients that our skin requires to remain healthy. As it continues to circulate, the blood also removes carbon dioxide and wastes that the skin doesn't need.
- Cleared up and /or reduced acne. Microcurrent can help to clear up and reduce acne due to its processes oxygenating the skin and creating an unsustainable environment for bacteria to live.
- Lift of jowls and eyebrows. When using the lifting waveform or program on your MyoLift™ device, you are opening a line of communication with the Golgi Tendon. In turn, the Golgi Tendon “talks” to the muscles that have become lax. By using this waveform, you are releasing the tension on that muscle group while, at the same time, asking it to hold its original muscle tone and shape.
- Sun Damage Treatment. Most sun damage comes in the form of dry and/or wrinkled skin. When using microcurrent you are infusing hydration back into the skin. With the help of water based serum's you can restore the moisture back into the skin on a deeper level since another benefit of microcurrent is the driving of products deeper into the skin, which we call an increase of “product penetration.” More on this below!
- Product Penetration. As stated above, anything you put on your skin before a microcurrent will be driven deeper into the skin. Applying hydrating serums, for example, before you apply conductivity gel and perform a microcurrent session will allow your skin to reap the full benefit of that serum. At least 30 minutes of microcurrent is recommended to help push those products deeper into the skin. Any type of products that will go deeper into the live layers (dermis) will give you a better result. Please note: this works both ways, so products that tend to irritate or work harshly on your skin should be avoided prior to a microcurrent facial. For example: Retinol products should not be used within the 24 hours leading up to your microcurrent facial.
- Skin Pigmentation improvement. Overall, improving skin pigmentation is a tricky topic. This is because there is a wide range of circumstances which cause pigmentation. Some pigmentation can be hormonal, some can be from sun damage. What you need to know is that when you are completing a consistent microcurrent series you are actively building ATP which helps to lighten and brighten the skin tone. For the best results targeting a specific trouble area of pigmentation you can use a water based serum that will directly address this issue and drive it down deeper into the skin.
- Smoother, firmer skin. Microcurrent works on the muscles of the face but is also working on the skin. As you use microcurrent on a consistent basis you are increasing the collagen/elastin in the skin, increasing hydration and increasing the ATP (energy) of the skin. These are three individual benefits that work together to result in smoother and firmer skin.
Hydrated and revitalized skin. We know how important it is to stay hydrated by treating it internally -- drink lots of water and your skin will show it! It is also important to treat the skin externally with hydrating products. It's important to use products that will help to hold hydration such as hyaluronic acid (a primary ingredient of our RePlenish Hydrating Spritzer!). The benefits of keeping your skin hydrated will result in skin that is revitalized and plump.
- Increase in Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP). MyoLift™ microcurrent technology results have shown to increase ATP by up to 500%. In previous blog articles, we have explained ATP as the energy of the cell. This is the cellular energy necessary for the production of collagen and elastin in the face. This is why even using MyoLift™ for a short period of time once a week can be a game changer for your skin.
- Increase in natural collagen production. With ATP increased and your cells re-energized, your body’s natural processes of collagen production can get to work, creating skin strength as well as skin structure. This is largely responsible for youthful appearance of the skin and working against unruly aging signs like sagging facial skin, but is also used by your body to treat injured tissue or damaged tissues in the body.
- Improved elasticity due to an increase in natural elastin production. With a boost of ATP comes an increase in our body’s ability to generate elastin - a combination of connective and fibrous tissue of protein that provides our skin the flexibility to stretch and bounce-back to its natural shape.
- More range of motion in your treatment room. This one goes out to our professional readers! If you’re looking into a MyoLift™ True Microcurrent™ device specifically, a benefit of this device is more range of motion and movement. Although the probes or gloves used for this treatment are wired, MyoLift™ devices themselves do not need to be plugged into the wall to use. In fact, MyoLift™ won’t work while plugged in! These devices (especially MyoLift™ Mini and 600) are portable and wireless, which makes them perfect if you are on the go or working with limited space in your treatment room.
Gentle Technique that Rejuvenates Skin
Now that you have overviewed our full list of microcurrent benefits to the skin, we want to circle back to one of the most important: microcurrent is gentle. Microcurrent is one of the few modalities that achieves great results but does not irritate the skin. Because it is non-invasive, it doesn’t require injury to the skin to generate a healing response -- it is the most relaxing technique for rejuvenating your skin. How many modalities can say they compliment the natural flow and function of your body to re-spark processes like collagen production?
Boosts Collagen Production
The benefit of collagen production enhancement through microcurrent all comes back to ATP. As soon as microcurrent works its magic and recharges our skin cells with natural energy, these cells can function efficiently as they did prior to the aging process. Our skin cells are always producing some amount of collagen, but with the natural aging process we simply don’t produce as much. When ATP is restored to our cells, they are more active in creating collagen for our skin to look its best!
Microcurrent and LED Light Therapy (...and more!)
The options with microcurrent are absolutely endless. One of the primary benefits of microcurrent valued among professionals in the beauty industry is its compatibility with other popular modalities. When you begin to pair it with other popular facial treatments like LED Light Therapy, Microdermabrasion, and Radio Frequency, you can provide more well-rounded and health focused facials to your clients.